A lot of people are so preoccupied at improving the interior of their home that they fail to work on the exterior part of their homes. You may have spent most of your time and resources trying to enhance the value of your home through various renovations and improvements in the home interior. You are missing a lot if you fail to consider the curb appeal. It is sometimes surprising that we fail to give it the attention that it deserves. How important is curb appeal? It is the first aspect of your home that can be seen by your buyer.
Here are 10 tried and tested ways of enhancing the curb appeal of your home.
1. Create an attractive walkway to catch the attention of both guests and potential home buyers. You can choose the right kind of slate on top of your plain concrete steps to give it a more colorful look.
2. Replace those old columns with new ones. If you have columns that look visually small and incongruent to your roofs, then you may opt to replace them with larger types of columns. You can create a more balanced look of your front porches if you make such switch.
3. Change your light fixtures. This is one of the most neglected aspects of your porch. Take on the outsider’s perspective and see whether your porch lights are in perfect scale with the other elements of your home exterior or not. You can enhance the elegant look of your front porch if you will use independent light in entryways that are relatively high. Hang sconces above eye level to minimize glare.
4. Consider updating your front windows and doors. If your front door clashes with the overall style and theme of your home, then it is time for you to replace them with the right one. If you have an arts and crafts style in your home design, then you have to go for entry doors of the same design theme. If your home follows a contemporary design, then it is but logical that you have a door with contemporary design.
5. Replace those decrepit windows with new ones. You can easily enhance and create a fresh look of your exterior once you update your windows. Make sure that the design of your windows is consistent with the overall design and style of your home. Replacement windows are more practical as they can be easily installed directly to the existing window frames. In most instances, the replacement job can be completed in one day.
6. Dormers serve as an effective breaker for large growth elements in your front porch. They create balance and provide depth to the home exterior.
7. Update or add shutters. Make sure that your shutters are wide enough to cover the entire width of your window when they are closed. You may have to replace your shutters if they are too small for your windows.
8. Outfit your windows with flower boxes. Flower boxes help enhance the design and character of the home interior. It will also make your windows look taller.
9. Replace your exterior lighting. The exterior lighting can do wonders in enhancing the curb appeal of your home. If you have a small front porch, you can replace sconces and pendants with exterior lighting along entryways. Maintain the balance and continuity of your design by using exterior lights with the same style as other fixtures in your front porch.
10. Update your driveway and make it look more interesting. Replace ordinary concrete with apron pavers, saw cut or stamped concrete. You may consider redesigning your driveway so that it cuts across your front yard.